BOARD OF DIRECTORS and STAFF
The Board of Directors of the Compton County Historical Museum Society administers the operation of the Eaton Corner Museum as well as a number of projects, activities and events related to its purpose. It is currently composed of 10 members. All are volunteers.
Any member of the Society may be nominated for election to the Board at the Annual General Meeting.
Anyone can become a member of the Museum by paying an annual membership fee.
We are always looking for new people to become volunteers on committees, or at events.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
All Board members serve a two-year term, with 5 elected in odd numbered years, and 6 elected in even numbered years.
The Board of Directors currently serving are:
THE STORY OF OUR MUSEUM
A regional showcase since 1959
The Eaton Corner Museum was the brainchild of the Compton County Women’s Institute, an English-language organization which voices the concerns of rural women, similar to Les Cercles de fermières. These women, mostly homemakers, wanted to leave a tangible legacy for posterity. They wanted future generations to understand how their ancestors lived.
To make this happen, the members of the Women's Institute supported the creation of the Compton County Historical Museum Society. The Museum Society received its Letters Patent on March 20, 1959. The founding directors were lumber merchant Payson A. Sherman, accountant Robert A. Smith and insurance agent Paul Beaudoin, all residents of Scotstown.
At that time, the Congregationalist Church in Eaton Corner, which had been taken over by the United Church in Canada, had been vacant for many years. The Museum Society's founding members approached the United Church Trustees and an agreement was reached to purchase the church on May 4, 1959. The goal was to turn the Church into a regional museum, collecting historic objects from families throughout Compton County.
Soon afterward, in 1961, the provincial government declared the church to be an historic building. The former Eaton Academy across the street received the same protection in 1963. Over the years the Museum’s collection took shape and was displayed in various ways. Several fund-raising events are held every year, both to maintain our historic buildings and to finance the conservation and display of our artefacts and archives.
In 2004 a major restoration of the Museum was funded by the Québec Department of Culture and Communications and managed by the Town of Cookshire-Eaton. In 2010 the Town declared the Eaton Corner Museum’s four buildings to be a heritage site, further protecting the Museum complex.
In recent years, the Museum has acquired two historic houses in the village of Eaton Corner. The Foss House, across the road from the Church, was acquired in 2012 and is being developed for exhibition space and storage facilities, with heritage landscaping and kitchen gardens. It will be open to the public in 2014. The other historic home, the Alger House, acquired in 2008, must wait for future development. Land behind these properties will also be developed as Museum space, with plans for adding a barn and other outbuildings to enable more activities and displays of agricultural equipment.